Monday 9 March 2009

The problem of walls and doors


Now that I have comprehensively introduced myself and my intentions, I should like to begin by addressing the issue of walls and doors, as these have recently become problems close to my confounded heart. Unless you were only born a very short time ago, you will know of course that doors open and walls are just there.

Having recently moved into new and unfamiliar territory, I have found myself in the embarrassing and buffoonish situation of sitting vocalising at a cornered wall, expecting to be let through - sometimes to the point of actually scratching to find a hinge. And I am no fool. My overriding sentiment here is to beware of possible losses of front, but not to panic. If this should happen to you, take solace in the fact that your people will probably find it endearing, however mortified you may be feeling. A quick thinker may even be able to turn a noisy request for passage into a cry for something other, pilchards perhaps, by running quickly from the scene towards the nearest food bowl. With luck, no one will be any the wiser.

A second issue I have encountered around doors also arose following my recent relocation. I would find that my providers would often enter a certain cupboard, lock it and fail to come out for sometimes entire days. I could not for the tail of me work out what the selfish things were doing in there, and felt offended, at best, not to be asked in. I later discovered, through a well-timed bolt on my part, that the cupboard was in reality the front outer door, and that they had in fact been leaving the territory entirely during prolonged absences. My own door opens out to the rear green, which to be fair I would far rather visit than the dangerous and more unpredictable front.

The point here is that if you find your people disappearing mysteriously into what seems like a cupboard for extended private sessions, don't bother scratching for admittance as they've probably gone out.

No comments:

Post a Comment